- 3M introduces a brand new platform known as 3M Futures which explores 5 cutting-edge science and expertise tendencies impacting the world at present — and their implications for tomorrow.
- 3M scientists, engineers, designers, and consultants share and discover key matters inside every pattern, providing their distinctive views and commentary.
- 3M releases Futures Survey: A world survey carried out throughout 11 international locations, the examine explores perceptions and expectations of science and technological innovation — and the way people view its influence of their lives.
PETALING JAYA, MALAYSIA – Media OutReach – 7 March 2022 – 3M launched 3M Futures, a brand new platform showcasing 5 international science and expertise tendencies shaping the world at present — and the way forward for tomorrow. The platform explores every subject alongside commentary and views from 3M consultants, scientists, engineers and designers on the forefront of their fields. 3M Futures additionally options information from international, third-party analysis carried out throughout 11 international locations to know perceptions of those prime science, expertise and design tendencies.
The 3M Futures matters for 2022 are:
- Augmented Actuality (AR) and Digital Actuality (VR): Blended actuality is already altering the best way we reside, work and entertain — the metaverse is poised to vary our perceptions of actuality.
- Synthetic Intelligence (AI): How synthetic intelligence and machine studying are revolutionising all the pieces from leisure to enterprise however require conversations about broader implications and ethics.
- Sustainable Supplies: The round economic system is introducing innovation in materials science and design whereas disrupting the business, ushering in a extra sustainable future.
- The New Paradigm — A Pandemic Conscious World: The pandemic has created a paradigm shift in how we work together. From telemedicine and health-conscious design to distant work, the brand new irregular is right here to remain.
- Fairness — By means of Science and Know-how: The best innovation comes from numerous thinkers. Fairness, illustration and equal entry to science and expertise studying, like minority illustration and STEM in youth, are paramount to fixing the challenges of at present — and tomorrow.
“Every single day, 3Mers all over the world are unlocking the subsequent section of what is attainable and exploring the most recent tendencies in science and expertise,” says GT Lim, Nation Chief of 3M Malaysia “3M Futures is a wonderful alternative for us to showcase the broad methods 3M helps to form the long run — creating, designing and engineering cutting-edge options inside essentially the most related international tendencies whereas profiling the unbelievable expertise throughout our firm who’re consultants of their fields. In Malaysia, as the federal government and stakeholders proceed to drive and assist the innovation ecosystem and adoption of excessive expertise and innovation and all issues important to the Fourth Industrial Revolution (IR 4.0), we hope that the findings shared supply extra healthful and actionable insights too. ”
The knowledgeable contributors chosen to take part embody an array of 3M scientists, engineers, designers and different leaders on the forefront of their industries. From synthetic intelligence to fairness, every is captivated with their area and has a private curiosity in broad functions of the related expertise and science.
3M Futures Survey
The 3M Futures Survey uncovers international perceptions of future applied sciences, with outcomes from 11 international locations: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, UK, USA and South Korea. The survey uncovers what respondents imagine future innovation ought to give attention to throughout the globe and the methods they’ve — or haven’t — straight interacted with the applied sciences referenced throughout the 5 core tendencies.
Key findings embody:
- Science and expertise
Public well being, humanitarian crises, excessive climate crises, a remedy for Alzheimer’s and ecological disasters are seen as the highest issues to give attention to over the subsequent 5 years.
- Mainstream Digital Actuality
Digital actuality is predicted to be a standard a part of our on a regular basis lives ahead of different developments, particularly in gaming and leisure.
- AI curiosity and considerations
The survey outcomes confirmed that whereas individuals are enthusiastic about AI, many are involved about information privateness and wish extra transparency on how the expertise is being utilized in society.
- Sustainability: prime environmental threats
Respondents really feel single-use plastics are an even bigger risk to the atmosphere than fossil fuels and quick vogue.
- Actual-life vs tech.
Within the shadow of the pandemic, tech-driven improvements are being met with some resistance as many are attempting to lower tech of their life and search in-person socialisation and hobbies.
Following its launch, 3M Futures will function ongoing tales, VR demos and content material all year long. Insights from the survey will inform the exploration of future matters and content material.
To obtain full 3M Futures survey information, together with by nation and infographic breakdowns, go to: 3M Futures Resource Center
3M Futures Survey Methodology
International enterprise intelligence firm Morning Seek the advice of carried out analysis on behalf of 3M amongst an viewers of n=22,001 Adults ages 18-64 from the US, UK, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Germany, France, China, India, Japan, and South Korea between November 17- Dec. 18, 2021. The interviews had been carried out on-line, and the information was balanced throughout gender, age, earnings, and area. Outcomes from the survey have a margin of error of +/- 1%.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative methods to enhance lives every day as our staff join with clients all all over the world. Be taught extra about 3M’s inventive options to international challenges at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNews.
The issuer is solely chargeable for the content material of this announcement.