For somebody who’s wishing to begin with a very good millet dosa for on a regular basis meals, right here is one thing I might love that can assist you with. I’m not going to share any set recipe as a result of frankly, for me, it’s million dosas and million recipes. Individuals are already fooling and complicated you with millet dope, I don’t wish to be yet another including to the confusion. Moderately as a millet coach, I might love that can assist you with some fundamental suggestions right here. Learn on.
1. If you’re not aiming at reversing any way of life dysfunction, I might counsel begin with any optimistic grains like Kodo Millet, Little Millet, Barnyard Millet, Foxtail Millet and Browntop Millet. You possibly can go for impartial grains too, however as a result of the optimistic grains are larger on fiber and dietary content material, they cleanse your intestine in a greater approach.
2. Each millet wants soaking. And a minimal of 6-8 hours. The grains should be washed totally and soaked correctly.
3. At all times soak lentils individually. By no means combine dicots and monocots whereas soaking.
4. Have one millet at a time. However please word, additionally it is okay to improvise with recipes. Mixing grains doesn’t imply you might be consuming one thing inedible or poisonous. Whether it is okay on your intestine and never providing you with any acidity points, on occasion it’s okay to combine grains and luxuriate in making recipes with them.
5. For millet and lentil, you’ll be able to select any ratio like 2:1, 1:1, 4:1 and three:1. The key lies in correct fermenting of the batter. I’ve tried all doable ratios, and dosas have come out all good. With a very good forged iron griddle, a handy ladle, some strategies and common observe, you may be there in few weeks.
6. I want holding millet to lentil ratio as 2:1. It means 1 cup millet to ½ cup of dal (any dal, even I’ve tried with Rajma, kidney beans too). A spoonful of methi seeds soaked individually is at all times good.
7. If you wish to keep away from lentil, head on to my Instagram profile. I’ve shared a recipe the place we will ferment dosa batter with sourdough discard. Sure, gluten free discard could be advantageous too.
8. It’s not obligatory so as to add cooked rice or poha. Nonetheless, if you’re a newbie, 2 spoons of any conventional cooked rice will make your dosas crispier and batter fluffier. I like so as to add cooked Rajamudi Rice, and you may go for sonamasuri, kolam, govindbhog, kerala sundari and lots of extra from our Indian soil.
9. Sure there’s a factor referred to as zero-oil dosa. If you happen to properly season your forged iron griddle, you’ll be able to dish-out lip smacking dosas and not using a drop of oil.
10. Lastly, attempt to stick to at least one millet for 2 days. It’s at all times higher to do the proper approach.
Right here’s what I cooked for my Sunday breakfast. It’s zero-oil foxtail millet inexperienced gram dosa.
ZERO-OIL FOXTAIL MILLET GREEN GRAM DOSAI
· 1 cup foxtail millet (washed and soaked)
· ½ cup inexperienced gram (sabut moong), washed and soaked
· 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
· 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves
· Rock salt to style
1. Individually soak millet, dal and methi seeds.
2. Use methi water in batter and millet water on your batter. Discard water by which you soaked inexperienced gram.
3. Grind all of them and permit it to ferment for good 12-16 hours. It usually depends upon the climate. In winters it takes slightly longer to ferment.
4. As soon as batter is fermented properly, add remainder of the substances.
5. Begin making dosas and consult with the video connected.
6. Serve together with your favorite sabzi or chutney.
7. If you’re gluten delicate, begin changing your wheat with these straightforward dosas.
8. Hold practising.
(Shalini Rajani is the founding father of Loopy Kadchi and holds progressive Millets Cooking Workshops for all age teams)