SATURDAY, Jan. 30, 2021 (HealthDay Information) — Dry and chapped lips are widespread through the winter, however there are a selection of issues you are able to do to guard them, an professional says.
“Chilly, dry climate; solar injury; and ceaselessly licking your lips are simply a few of the causes your lips may really feel dry and chapped this winter,” dermatologist Dr. Noëlle Sherber mentioned in an American Academy of Dermatology information launch. “Understanding these causes and anything that may set off your chapped lips goes a good distance in stopping and treating them.”
Sherber supplied the next recommendation on stopping and treating dry, chapped lips:
- Use non-irritating lip merchandise. Persist with lip balms, lipsticks and different lip merchandise that comprise components like castor seed oil, ceramides, dimethicone or mineral oil. Select merchandise which might be labeled “fragrance-free” and “hypoallergenic.”
- Keep away from harsh components. Camphor, menthol or eucalyptus can irritate your lips. In case your lips burn, sting or tingle after utilizing a lip product, cease utilizing it.
- Refresh typically. Apply your lip balm all through the day and earlier than you go to mattress. In case your lips are very dry and cracked, use a thick ointment, similar to petroleum jelly. Ointment seals in moisture longer than waxes or oils.
- Defend your lips outdoor. Earlier than going exterior, apply a lip balm with an SPF of 30 or larger. Use a lip balm with titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide and reapply it each two hours whereas exterior.
- Do not lick, chunk or decide at your lips. It could really feel pure to lick your lips once they really feel dry, however this may worsen the issue. As a substitute of licking your lips, apply a non-irritating lip balm.
- Maintain steel away out of your mouth. Do not maintain steel objects similar to paperclips, jewellery and reusable steel straws together with your lips. They’ll trigger irritation.
- Keep hydrated. Drink loads of water and use a humidifier at dwelling, particularly in your bed room when you sleep.
“Chapped lips are normally innocent, nevertheless, generally they could be a signal of a medical situation,” Sherber mentioned. “In case your dry, chapped lips don’t heal after following the following tips for 2 to 3 weeks, speak to a board-certified dermatologist.”
SOURCE: American Academy of Dermatology, information launch, Jan. 26, 2021
Copyright © 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.