5 public excessive faculties within the Lehigh Valley cracked the highest 100 in a state rating launched final week.
The rankings come from U.S. News & World Report, which ranked greater than 17,800 public excessive faculties all through the nation. (Non-public entities like Catholic faculties have been excluded.)
The thought is to measure how nicely faculties serve college students from numerous social and financial backgrounds, based mostly on six standards, in accordance with the publication.
Topping the 2021 listing was Thomas Jefferson Excessive Faculty for Science and Expertise in Alexandria, Virginia. The same school was ranked top in the nation in 2020, pennlive.com stories.
Making the highest 100 in Pennsylvania from Lehigh and Northampton counties have been Southern Lehigh Senior High School (77), Nazareth Area High School (84), Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts (85), Saucon Valley Senior High School (87) and Lehigh Valley Academy Regional Charter School (92).
Warren County’s highest-ranking highschool in New Jersey was Warren Hills Regional High School (200).
For neighborhood bragging rights, for instance, the Bethlehem Space Faculty District’s Liberty High School (404) was ranked increased than Freedom High School (463). Easton Area High School (300) trailed Wilson Area High School (105). (Phillipsburg High School got here got here in 225th in New Jersey, for these taking a look at a cross-river rivalry.)
Following are the state rankings for Pennsylvania and New Jersey’s public excessive faculties, and you’ll seek for your college. (You may click on the state names right here to view them, for the reason that database tables could not show on platforms.)
The criteria that went into the U.S. News & World Report rankings are as follows:
- School readiness (30% of the rating): The proportion of twelfth graders from the category of 2018-2019 who took not less than one AP or IB examination by the tip of their senior 12 months and the share of twelfth graders who earned a qualifying rating on not less than one AP or IB examination in highschool. Incomes a qualifying rating is weighted thrice greater than taking.
- School curriculum breadth (10%): The proportion of twelfth graders from the category of 2018-2019 who took all kinds of AP and IB programs throughout the a number of disciplines and the share of twelfth graders who earned a qualifying rating on them. Incomes a qualifying rating is weighted thrice greater than taking.
- Studying and math proficiency (20%): Measures how nicely college students scored on state assessments that measure proficiency in studying and arithmetic. Passing these assessments could be required for commencement.
- Studying and math efficiency (20%): The distinction between how college students carried out on state assessments and what U.S. Information predicted based mostly on a faculty’s scholar physique. U.S. Information’ modeling throughout all 50 states and the District of Columbia signifies that the share of scholars from traditionally underserved subgroups – outlined as Black college students, Hispanic college students, and college students who’re eligible free of charge and lowered worth lunch – are extremely predictive of a faculty’s studying and math scores.
- Underserved scholar efficiency (10%): How nicely the scholar inhabitants receiving sponsored college lunch and Black and Hispanic populations carry out on state assessments relative to statewide efficiency amongst college students not in these subgroups.
- Commencement price (10%): For the 2021 rankings, the commencement price corresponds to the 2019 commencement cohort who would have entered ninth grade within the 2015-2016 college 12 months. The highschool commencement charges have been collected immediately from every state together with the maths and studying evaluation knowledge.
Our journalism wants your assist. Please subscribe at present to lehighvalleylive.com.
Kurt Bresswein could also be reached at [email protected].